23 March 2008

Photostitching software for MacOSX

Photostitching software provides a way to create a single panoramic photo from photos of partial  sections of the full scene.  Some cameras come with panorama functionality built in; Canon has excellent on-board ability, however the Panasonic Lumix FX7 I have does not.  In fact, other than its small size, it's not a great camera - terrible noise and so-so color reproduction.

I tried PTGui but found the interface to be pretty crude and not very Mac-like.  In fact, it is a cross-platform application, however simple Mac things like drag-and-drop don't work the way they should on MacOSX.

I don't have Photoshop - it's possible that it has  a photo-stitching mode, but at whatever-hundreds-of-dollars it costs, I'll never know.

I wanted something that would work well with iPhoto.

I ended up purchasing DoubleTake which is very easy to use, accepts drag-and-dropped photos from iPhoto, and costs $24.95.  I  posted my first  panorama photo on flickr.  The  results  for a very quick-and-dirty run look really good.  With some work I can warp the images to fit better  (where the lower edge of the car don't meet well in the merged image).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Brooklyn, New York, United States